Monday, October 25, 2010

It's YOUR RIGHT to vote


Previously, as in before I registered as a voter, I was constantly nagged by my mum to register.

She'll go like "Eh, there's a booth in SS2 to register, go do it" or "Eh have you registered to vote yet?"

Being me, I felt that it was too troublesome to go all the way to SS2 just to register.

(Notice that I used "all the way" when it's only a 10-minute drive) =P




But on one fine day, while I was with friends, we walked past a registration booth and this time, my friend pestered me and his girlfriend to register.
Of course, he's already a registered voter. 

You know the feeling when you won't do something by yourself, but when you have friends doing it with you, you'll have no problem at all?

So I finally registered myself as a voter and hence, the purpose of this post.





Sure, you can say that you'll do it, but when it comes down to it, you're only waiting for someone who's done it or someone to do it with you. 

So I strongly suggest that you gather a few friends and register as a group. Then no one would feel awkward but rather, your other friends would feel the pressure to register as well. 





"How to know if I'm qualified to register as a voter?"

You...
1) are a Malaysian citizen
2) are aged 21 or above (after your 21st birthday)
3) live in an election area (basically any district, town or city)



"What do I bring when registering as a voter?"

You need to bring...
1) Yourself
2) Your Malaysian IC (Identification Card)
(or other official documents for that matter)

"Where do I go to register again?"

Just go to the nearest...
1) State Election Office
2) Post Office
3) Mobile Registration booths in public places

"Oh no! What's with all these forms?!"


It won't take you more than 5 minutes! =D
You only need to fill in the basic stuff like address, IC no., birthdate, etc.

"Now that I've done it, how do I know if I'm really registered?"


Check your registration status at:
CHECKING ELECTORAL ROLL

"Woohoo! I'm officially registered! What now?"


Malaysia's next General Election will be held in 2013 or before 2013.

Sources:
Wikipedia: Next Malaysian general election
PilihanRaya.com.my: Election Tips for Voters

Cheers,
Sze Wei