Tuesday, June 9, 2009

International Food Banquet

Short Talk: My extension for the exchange program just got approved!! Woohoo!! Now I don't need to take an early trip back to Malaysia. =D


I have to admit, when Lisa told me the theme for our second floor function, I was impressed!

I, for one, love eating and this function was just too good to be true. As if the food from other countries wasn't enough, I was gonna make Nasi Lemak!!

Yes, I'll say it again, I'm making Nasi Lemak! Here! In Australia!
Hahahahaha =D

Most of the ingredients weren't hard to prepare. Such as fried anchovies, fried peanuts, cucumbers, hard-boiled eggs, and rice. But the sambal, which was the main ingredient, was too difficult to prepare and so I bought the ready-made version!

One thing about Melbourne is that they always have a ready-made version of everything. For example, pasta sauce, garlic bread, marinated sausages/meat, and even mixed salad which you can eat straight away!

Since I'm not the only Malaysian who's preparing Malaysian cuisine, I teamed up with Jia Yeng. She provided and prepared the anchovies while I made the rice.

Speaking of the rice, coconut milk and pandan leaves were the essential ingredients to make Nasi Lemak. I figured that it would be next to impossible to get these in Australia.

BUT!! I actually found both ingredients!! Thanks to a certain Hong Kong grocery at Clayton town. =)

Photobucket
After washing the 3cups of rice, I added about 3/4 cups of coconut milk.


Photobucket
Varun preparing his spicy fried fish. =)


Photobucket
Oops, I accidentally chopped Jia Yeng into half! =p


Photobucket
Jack and Lisa preparing their own stuff.


Photobucket
Lisa preparing some vege dish. (She's vegetarian)


Photobucket
Jack mincing the chicken for his dish.


Photobucket
It was so crowded that I went upstairs to prepare this! =D


Photobucket
Jia Yeng peeling the eggs but we didn't boil it long enough. =/


Photobucket
So she boiled the eggs once more. =)


Photobucket
Jack's chicken dumplings!! =D (raw)


Photobucket
I still have no idea why Jemma is painting her nails here.


Photobucket
Rahul whipping up some fried rice. (Jack in the background)


Photobucket
Jack frying his dumplings to perfection.


Photobucket
And it's really golden to perfection. =D


Photobucket
Nothing much, just cutting the cucumbers. =)


Photobucket
Anthony and his heavenly chicken curry!! =D


Photobucket
Jack's perfect dumplings! =D


Photobucket
Ry preparing his cocktail. =)


Photobucket
And he made pancakes too!! Chocolate ones!! =D


Photobucket
Apparently these are what the Dutch eat. =p


Photobucket
Home-made chinese dumplings! =D


Photobucket
What's a floor function without beer?
This is Varun's home-brewed beer! (made with love =p)



Photobucket
Varun's fried fish from India! This stuff is good I tell ya.


Photobucket
Varun and Rahul's fried rice! (Mild and Spicy)


Photobucket
English crumpets by Jemma from the UK!! =D


Photobucket
Lisa's dish just came fresh from the oven!! =)


Photobucket
Vege Pasties... from The Motherland?? Lol...


Photobucket
I think Cheri made this... PB&J Sandwich! =)


Photobucket
My completed Nasi Lemak!! It was orgasmic! =D
(I can't believe I used that word lol)


Photobucket
Alex with her American-Mexican dish! =)


Photobucket
More of a snack actually, the 7-Layer Mexican Dip!! =D


Photobucket
Anthony's chicken curry can really put you at the top of the world! =p
(Indyeah!! ROFL)


Photobucket
Tarun requested that I cut out Jemma coz she spoils the photo... lol


Photobucket
Let the feast begin!! Woohooo!! =D
(Me and my shaky hands grr...)



Photobucket
The indians... (Not trying to be racist here ok!)


Photobucket
From left: Hayley, Ry and Lisa enjoying the food. =)


Photobucket
Jack and Ridwaan in the background. =p


Photobucket
The chicken curry was too spicy for Jemma so Dean took out his fan to cool her down lol =p


Photobucket
Tom was complementing on how good the chicken curry was. =)


Photobucket
Hayley's potatoes were a little late but still tasty!! =D


Photobucket
Drinking game!! As usual... =P



That's about it for now.


Enjoy!! =D



Back to studies!! First paper this Thursday!!

Omgosh I'm sooo not ready!! X_X