Saturday, August 1, 2009

Mt Buller Day Trip Part 1

Short Talk: I can't believe I mistaken Jacky for someone I met at BISDS.



As I mentioned before, I was planning to go on a ski trip organised by Malaysians at Caulfield.

I'll start from the beginning...

I found out about the trip through e-mail on Tuesday and it was on the coming Saturday! I was very excited because I thought this was my last chance to go skiing. At the same time, I was afraid that I wouldn't be financially capable for it.

On the next day, I had only 2 lectures in the morning and the rest of the day was free. So I took the shuttle bus to the Caulfield campus. Since I've only been there for exams, I spent 1 hour just looking for their booth while carrying my groceries everywhere I went.

But when I found it, I hesitated. I didn't know whether or not I could cope financially with this expensive trip. Lucky for me, my secondary school friend, Aik Sern was part of the organising team. He told me that I can take my to consider and he would help me if I wanted to join the trip.

So I went home, opened up my financial statement for July and started calculating.

"I could join the trip but I'd be broke after that." I thought.

But after seeking permission, I was allowed to use the emergency funds my parents gave me. So far, I think I owe a few people a lot of money and I had no choice. I just have to survive till August 21st, and all the problems can be solved with money wouldn't be a problem no more.

Although I will have to cut corners in terms of food, but it will be worth the sacrifice for such an enriching experience at the snowy mountain.

Now that I've made up my mind, I just have to call Aik Sern to register. But to my surprise, the trip was postponed to the week after due to lack of participants.

To be honest, I was indifferent. That's because the timing wasn't the issue, the money was.

But that also meant that I could find myself a messenger to register on my behalf instead of going there personally. I asked among my friends at halls but most of them couldn't make it before the booth closes.

When I asked Jian Hung and his housemates, Ching Yoong was willing to do it! So I cycled to their house one night to pass her the money and my details.

Assuming that registration was settled, I went on to see if anyone at Caulfield could accommodate me for just one night. That's because we have to meet at Caulfield at 5am and the buses don't run that early.

The first and also the last person I asked was Brandon.
And the answer was 'no'.

Although he's living on-campus, but the apartment is rented out by private owners to Monash then rented to students. And oddly enough, the owners strictly forbid overnight guests.

The alternate solution was for me to take the train. Which meant that I have to walk to the nearest train station since there were no buses. Perhaps a good morning walk could prepare me for the trip. Hahahaha =p

Just when I thought everything was settled, someone from the organising committee texted me to ask if I was still interested in the trip. I was like 'WTF?!'

Apparently, I was put on the waiting list because when Ching Yoong wanted to register on my behalf, it was already full. But thank God they hired another bus to accommodate the extra amount of people.

So on the next day, I was registered by Ching Yoong and all set to go!

Checklist:
Registration (Checked!)
Finance (Checked!)
Getting to Caulfield (Checked!)

Photobucket

With everything in place, I was ready to go skiing for the first time in my life!


P/S: Part 2 will come as soon as I get the photos.