Monday, January 5, 2009

Had some technical difficulty

First of all, I apologize to all who waited for my update and I thank you for being such a loyal reader. =)

Here's the WHOLE story (including New Year):

Dec 31 (New Year's Eve)
My computer had been on for almost 3-4days straight. I was downloading a bunch of cantonese dramas and was not even close to completion. I woke up this morning and turned my monitor on to check on the progress.

To my surprise, the computer hanged and the screen was frozen. The clock read 6am. I thought it was normal for a computer to hang once in a while so I restarted it. But what I expected was nothing like this. The monitor was blank as if there was no source.

I tried restarting a few more times but the results was the same. So I opened up my CPU to check if everything was working. Indeed, practically everything was fine, but the computer just won't start!! I immediately sent it to a shop near Atria at Damansara Jaya. Turns out that the problem was the power supply unit. It was no longer working properly.

Then at around 4.30pm, me, Min-Yi, Jon Ken, Zu Yao and Meng Yan met at Andrews house and we went to The Curve at around 5pm+. We walked around before eventually eating our dinner at the steamboat shop in Ikano's basement level.

After dinner, we even managed to watch a movie, The Spirit. This movie is like the most dumb, stupid, lame, I-duno-what-else-to-say movie ever man!!! Don't ever watch this movie unless someone points a gun at your head and forces you to watch it!!

Seriously, I don't know how to explain how lame or stupid it is, but I guess you can read reviews from the Internet Movie Database (IMDb).

After that, we walked around, bought some of the spraying-stuff, then it was time for the countdown!! The fireworks was really nice there, especially with the music and the crowd's reaction like "Ooh... Aah... Woo...".

As expected, there was a major traffic jam right after the fireworks ended so we went to a mamak to drink a little and eat a little before driving home and sleep! =D

Jan 02
I went to Low Yat with my cousin to sell the old computer parts from my father's office. At the same time, I shopped for a power supply unit for my computer. At first I thought I could get everything done by 2 or 3pm and still be able to meet Chung Kent at 1 Utama.

But eventhough we left Low Yat at 3pm, we reached Dang Wangi LRT station at around 4pm!! The traffic jam was that bad!! I was gonna walk to the station when we were reaching then Chung Kent called and said he waited too long and he went to 1 Utama himself instead of fetching me from the LRT station and going together.

So I went home with my mum, and collected my CPU from the shop. At first the technician said the power supply that I bought can't handle the power demand of my CPU, so I wanted to change the unit for the one with "real power" but at the same price. Apparently "real power" is more stable.

But I couldn't wait any longer so I carefully installed the power supply and turned on my computer!! "It's alive!!" I thought in my head. But all of a sudden, deja vu. The computer hanged again and the monitor was blank when I restarted it.

I called the salesman who sold me the power supply unit and he wanted me to bring my whole CPU to Low Yat to check. So I left it there while waiting for the day that I'm free to go to Low Yat.

Jan 05 (present)
Last night I went out with Keepeng and Chung Kent and came back at 4am. I wanted to go to Low Yat at 10am but slept till 12pm. Just when I was about to dismantle my CPU and get ready to send it to Low Yat, I decided to give it one last try...



Photobucket
SURPRISE!! It was working again!!


I don't know why but I sure hope that it won't crash on me again. Anyways now that my computer is working again, I don't have to go to Low Yat, and I can DotA again... =D


Anyone wanna game? =p