Friday, January 23, 2009

MNP is so convenient...

Let's say you're using a 016 line and obviously that comes from DiGi.

But you realise that DiGi's reception and coverage is not as good as Maxis although their rates are the cheapest.

So you wanna change to Maxis but you're haunted by all the problems faced when changing to a new number.


Relatives would go "you're changing your number AGAIN??"
(if you've changed for the 3rd time in 1 year)


Friends would say "you didn't tell me about your new number"
(if you tend to forget, like me)


My family would still dial the old number and complain about how they can't get through to me.


I tend to go for the nicer numbers with double this or triple that, so sometimes I would get random calls like "Siti ada tak?" "Hi, I would like a Char Siew Fan, add rice"





So you see how frustrating it gets JUST to change to another telco?

This is where the MNP comes in. (Mobile Number Portability)

With this, you can change from any telco to any telco of your choice WITHOUT having to change your original number.

Remember this post about MNP?



I could've changed to DiGi without changing my number but I didn't.


My number used to be 019-XXXX007 (Celcom).


At that time, I wanted to change to DiGi so I changed my number to 016-XXXX007 (DiGi).


This time, because I'm going to Australia soon, I changed my 016 line to Maxis Prepaid (Hotlink) so that I won't lose the number when I get back.


All I had to do was go to Maxis (TTDI) to apply and make sure I don't owe DiGi anything in terms of billing.




Why Maxis? Why not Celcom?


Firstly, I heard from my friends that Maxis allows you to keep your prepaid line active for 365days (1 year) by paying RM33. (not top up)


Second of all, I know some of my friends sometimes doesn't reply my messages because a message from Maxis to other telco costs 3 times more than Maxis-to-Maxis.


So now that I've changed to Maxis, SMS-ing between us is way cheaper. (No more excuse not to reply =P)




Now that my mum knows that I've ported my number to Maxis that easily, she's thinking of doing the same because she thinks that the Maxis family package is cheaper. =)


All I wanna know now is, what will happen to the supplementary lines if the principle line changes to another telco? Will they be converted to the new telco's supp line as well?


Short announcement :
There's a last minute vacancy for the on-campus accommodation!! And I've already applied for it. Now there's one less thing to worry about when I get to Australia. =)


That's all and thanks for reading. =)