Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Salary out! Not enough though =(

I checked my salary online today and found that it wasn't enough for me to buy a new handphone.

I was actually planning to buy this Sony Ericcson phone that was
Splash-proof,
Shock-proof and
Dust-proof
but my salary wasn't enough to cover for it.

On top of that, I was planning to save on buying a camera since this handphone has a 3.15megapixel Cybershot camera. Good enough for me. =)

Previously, I was working as a tele-interviewer, who basically calls people to ask survey questions. I found this job at a website called Asia Part-time and it was really quite attracting! =)

The pay was RM10/hr on weekdays and RM15/hr on weekends. On top of that, you get paid for each survey that you complete also! =D

Even the most important was that the working hours was very flexible :
From 10am to 10pm, you can choose when to start work and when to finish, when to take a break and how long you'd like your break to be.

I thought that since I had tele-marketing experience, this job was just too perfect! =D

So I went for their training and on the day itself, I started work already. =)

But after working for 1 week, my Moral Studies classes started already. I wanted to finish all my LAN subjects before I leave for Australia. The classes were on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, so I worked on the other days.

At first, my working hours was limited by the projects I worked on. For my first project, the time was from 6pm to 10pm. Eventually, I was trained in more and more projects and could start work at 10am. =)

Different projects also had different pay per survey ranging from RM5 to RM20 per survey. But trust me, it's not as easy as it sounds.

Some surveys can last for 30minutes and only pay RM5/survey. And that's assuming that your survey is passed by quality control... =p

I think now that my Moral Studies classes are ending, I can start working again. 2 of my friend's mother are working at this survey company called Synovate, which is the place I plan to work at after my Moral exam. =D

My friend himself could earn RM200+ in a day! =O
Did I mention that his mother is like, a high-ranking manager of Synovate Malaysia? xP

Their office is in Midvalley so I most probably have to drive there, or take the KTM. Well of course the former is preferred. =P

I just have to earn another 200-300 bucks for the original SE handphone. Or I could settle for the non-original version right now. But since I'm taking it to Australia, the extra 300bucks is worth it if I ever need to get my phone serviced there. =)

Oh I forgot to mention that the handphone is a
Sony Ericcson C702
. =P

OK enough serious stuff. I'll share some funny responses that I got from interviewing Singaporeans... Hehe =)

Normally, I would start my call with what they call the
"killer intro" like this:

"Hello, is this [insert phone number]? My name is Sze Wei calling from Taylor Nelson Sofres. Sorry to disturb but we are doing a quick study about [insert project]. So can I take some of your time to ask a few questions?"

Response #1: Straight forward rejection
Smart people would say :
"Sorry but whatever you're doing, not me or my family is interested. Bye."
"Sorry I don't think I'm eligible for your survey. Thanks, bye!"

But more commonly :
"Sorry no time, need to [insert task]. Bye."
"Sorry driving now. Bye."
"I'm busy now."

I kena this one before :
(Before intro was done) "OK! Bye bye!" (hangs up)
How RUDE!! @#$%^&*

Response #2: Curiosity
"Where are you calling from and who are you looking for?"
"How did you get my number?"
"What are you trying to sell?"
"What company? Got website anot? I go do it there."

Oh this one was really good, my friend kena :
"Before you interview me, let me interview you!
What is your name?
Where you calling from?
How old are you?
How much they pay you per month?
How to spell your company name?

(After a bunch of questions)
Ok la I don't think you need to interview me already. Bye!
"

(hangs up)

Response #3: Indirect rejection

"The person you are looking for is not at home, please don't call back."
"Wrong number sorry."

Worst one that hit me :
Me: "Hello, is this [insert phone number] ?"
Him: "Wrong number!" (hangs up)
Me: (calls again) "Hello, is this [insert phone number] ?"
Him: "Wrong number! Eh! Are you trying to be funny?!"
Me: "Sorry, sorry." (hangs up and curse him xD)

Response #4: Robot
"Not at home, bye!"
"Sorry not interested, bye!"
"Sorry busy now."
"Sorry no time."
"Sorry [insert excuse]"

I call it robot response because they really talk like a robot and their responses are always exactly the same words!

I even got this weird answering machine response:
(After 3 rings) "Please enter your code."

Haha... Sounds like James Bond to me.
I was SOOO tempted to enter 007! xD


There was this woman who was really curious about how I got her number.

But we were trained to say that it was "computer-generated" or "from phonebook". But for some projects, they really need to find people's number in the phonebook though.

Then she said: "Oh I see, but this is a private number. So if I get another call from you again, I'm gonna make a police report."

Wah!! Scary!! What's so private about a phone number nowadays? I mean, would the police even care that someone called your "private number" by chance?

Not like she's some superstar or anything. Even if she was, her manager would answer on her behalf right?

Then there was this wrong number case.
Me: (starts with killer intro)
Her: "O mi to foh, can I help you?"
Me: (didn't hear "o mi to foh")
Me: "Can I speak to [insert target group] from your house?"
Her: "Oh I'm sorry this is a chinese temple."
Me: (stones for 1 second) "Oh I'm sorry, I think I've got the wrong number, Bye!"

After the call, I was laughing like nobody's business!! I can't believe I called a temple!! Hahahahaha...

Of course, I held it in until I reached the toilet before bursting into laughter! =p

Oh there was this other one too! Children don't tell lies right? But that's unless their parents teach them how...

Me: (Makes a callback to Sharon)
Kid: (Shouts) "Sharon!! Your call!!"
Kid: (after 2minutes) "Sorry, there's no Sharon living here. Wrong number."
Me: (trying hard not to laugh) "Okayyy. Bye!"

Omg... What kind of parents teaches their child to lie?
I bet the kid will pick up lying pretty fast with a mum like that. =(

Oops, I wrote quite a lot already right?
Haha... My friend always complain about me writing long posts...

LAST ONE!

(the call goes through and someone picks up)
Me: (about to start killer intro)
Kid: (Crying like nobody's business on the phone)
Me: "Can I speak to your mummy or daddy?"
Kid: (Continues crying like the sky is gonna fall)
Me: (No idea what to do so I hung up)

Okay that's all for now... =)


Enjoy! =D