Friday, April 24, 2009

My Name, My Identity

Short Talk: OMG its gonna be pouring these few days... And just when I had some free time to go out...


My name, as anyone could've guess from my blog link, is Sek Sze Wei.

Since young, I've been called Sexy coz if you pronounce my name real fast, you'll get something like 'Sex-see wei'. Obviously, the 'wei' was redundant and carries no meaning so they truncated it and went on teasing me as 'Sexy'.

Back then, I was young and naive. So I was very sensitive towards this issue and was emotionally disturbed everytime someone called me 'sexy'. Fortunately for me, my primary education was in a chinese school whereby the teachers call me by my mandarin name, 石思伟.

Even so, I was often referred to as 'sexy' in front of my friends.

But after years and years of being called that way, I kinda got used to it and couldn't be bothered.

Most of my close friends call me 'Sze Wei'. But if I was introduced to someone by them, they would most probably stick to 'sexy', for the ease of remembering and also to seize the opportunity to tease me once in a while. =p

I didn't mind. Because:

"What other people call you does not define you.
It's your own words and actions that does."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

However, in Australia, most of the locals find it difficult to remember or even pronounce chinese names.

So, most Asians I knew either found a way to shorten their name, or picked their favourite english name.


Before I departed to Australia, I gave a lot of thought to what name I wanted to be called too.

I had several conditions though, which was:
1. It had to start with the letter 'S'.
(Don't ask why)
2. It had to be unique, i.e. no one else is using it.
(at least uncommonly used)
3. It had to somehow originate from me, and symbolizes me.
(e.g. my name, personality, habits, etc.)

I had considered a few such as Samuel, Steven, Shawn, and even Sonic!!

Out of Samuel, Steven and Shawn, I favoured Steven because it sounded cool, nobody I knew was using it, and it was a legitimate english name.

The only downside was it had nothing to do with me! Somehow I just couldn't relate that name to me.

The alternative was Sonic, my internet screen name since I was 13yrs old. Although it sounds cool and it could relate to me because I used it as my email, but it sounded a little stupid when someone actually called me that. After all, its literal meaning was the speed of sound.



Even after I arrived in Australia, I would introduce myself as 'Sze Wei' pronounced as 'zee-wei'. Naturally, the locals would go "Zee-what?" Then I would tell them "just call me sexy". But everytime I say that, lots of people have different ideas of what I was trying to portray.

Also, my RA (resident advisor) pasted everyone's first name on their room doors. It's easy when when their names are like Dean Denny whereby she would write "Dean".

But for my name, it was "Sze Wei Sek". So she quickly assumed that 'Sze' was my first name and 'Wei' was my middle name and pasted a large "SZE" on my room door. I was like 'wtf =.='.

So I pasted my own version of it on top of hers. Which was:

Photobucket

But this was contradictory since my friends would call me 'Sze Wei', new friends call me 'Sexy', and now I'm writing 'Sek' on my door.


There was even this scenario:

You know how girls like to call out to their girlfriends saying "Hey, sexy!"?

You could probably guess what happened next but I'm still gonna say it.

One afternoon, I was walking back to my room and I happen to pass the girls' rooms at the "right" moment.

One of them went "Hey, sexy!" and almost instantly, I said "Yes?".

Immediately after I said that, there was total silence. Their chattering had suddenly stopped. When I realised what an awkward position I had put myself in, I quickly ran to my room and locked the door!

A few seconds later I could hear them bursting into laughter and there was no doubt that they were laughing at me! *face turns red*

But then I realised how funny I was and even started laughing at myself!! ROFL!!

Another scenario:
My floor-rep. (Lisa) was referring to me in a conversation, she went like "His name is Sek? or Sexy? or Sze Wei? Do you recall anything?"


These scenarios went on for 2 months since I've been here already.


Today, Lisa was visiting my room telling me about the floor function. At the same time, I was told that she had trouble with which name she should use to call me.

While she was about to leave, I decided in a heartbeat that she should call me "SEZY".

So she was went "Alright, I kinda like that name, Sezy!"

Then from that moment, it was official, I shall now be called

SEZY!! =D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How did I come up with this name you ask?

Well, the glory goes to...

Dean Denny!! One of my favourite floormates! =D


The first day we met:

Dean: "Hey my name is Dean Denny but you can call me Dean."
Me: "Oh... My name is sexy."
Dean: "What?! ARE YOU SERIOUS? Like, your real name is actually 'sexy'?!"
Me: "Not really, its actually 'seck-zee-wei' but if you say it fast it'll sound like 'sexy'."
Dean: "Cool..."

*few seconds later*

Dean: "Hey do you mind if I call you 'sezy'? Coz I don't wanna let the girls think... erm..."
Me: "Yeah I get it... Sure, whatever you find convenient!"


And since that faithful day, he's been calling me "sezy". But all this while, he was the only one who uses it.

I still don't know why I hadn't thought about this earlier...

"Sezy" was just the perfect name!

1. It started with the letter 'S'.
2. It is not used by anyone! I'm 100% sure about this fact. =)
3. It is a shortened version of my name! From 'sek-zee' to 'sezy'!
4. If you googled the word 'sezy' you'll find 2 things:

Definition of 'sezy' :
It's kinda like sexy, but much much more brilliant. All the cool kids are yousing it! heck yeah!
This red font is so sezy ;)
(It's not in the English dictionary though =p)

Photo description of 'sezy' :
Photobucket
Yes, that's Jessica Alba! Lol!!
But they were refering to the black suit! xD


So from now on, I shall introduce myself to the locals as Sezy!!
But for Asians I guess I'll stick to Sze Wei. =p

I even updated the sticker on my door! =D
Photobucket
SEZY PWNS!!!


Enjoy!! =D