Friday, February 6, 2009

Ants attack!!

One day, one of the 2 switches from my kitchen stopped working.


I thought it was just some loose wires that needed tightening.


The next day, I saw ants coming out of it.


But didn't have the chance to fix it because I needed to turn off the power supply to remove the switch safely.


On the day after, the 2nd switch stopped working and the ants were everywhere.


So this morning, I forced myself to wake up at 9am, when no one was at home, to fix the switch.


This was what I saw:

Photobucket
This was when the switch was unscrewed from the wall.


I was thinking the switch was home to about a hundred ants.


But I was wrong, after I dismantled the switch and knocked its contents out, there were at least a few hundred of them inside!!


And the main reason the switch wasn't working was because the ants touched the live wire and died.


Then more ants gathered to aid their dead comrades but ended up getting shocked to death too.


The results?

Photobucket
Lumps to ants stuck inside the switch's contact points.
(The kitchen sink)


Ants always has been a problem in my house.


Before the major renovation, we had termites biting our wooden floorboard and needed to call pest control to overcome it.


Now after renovation, although the termites are gone, but the ants remain.


Whenever it rains for long periods of time, the ants would start to infest my house because their nests were flooded by the rain.


Previously, it even infested my keyboard!! It was partly my fault because I occasionally eat in front of my computer.


Even after cleaning my keyboard several times, the ants just kept coming. So I got fed up and threw the keyboard away then bought a new one.


I even saw them bite a hole through my wall and made the inside their nest, so I patched up the hole and I guess they died or something.


When I do get really pissed, I give them some ant food. *grins*


Why do I call it ant food?
Because they'll treat it as food and bring it back to their nests. But when they eat it, they'll die in the most horrible way.


I'm not too fond of using poison because it's just too cruel and it only serves as a temporary solution.


What I was thinking was that, instead of destroying their "nests" why not get those science project thingy and make a nest for them.


At least they'll stop destroying my house, right?


What do you think? Do leave some useful advice through comments. =)